Please Consider Donating and CC

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Alternate firmware

Well once again I was looking at what to post on this blog, so a friend suggested I post about how I flashing a router with alternative firmware (thanks Scott).  I had been given a router and I usually put a linux based firmware, if at all possible.  Well I did some digging around on some of my favorite sites for doing that, so one of the sites I was looking at was http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index and those are one of the best sites for loading alternative firmware on routers.  But in this post we'll be using the router I was given to make this as easy as possible.  Which will be cisco valet m10 router....

1.  Download the appropriate firmware for the appropriate router. 

2.  I reset the router to its original factory settings by getting some to press down the reset button in the back of the routers. The username is empty and the password is admin

3.  I clicked on my browser (any browser will do). 

4.  I typed in 198.168.1.1 which is the IP to all cisco and linksys routers.

5.  Which when the router has been reset,  no security will be present so once you put in the IP to the router it'll take you to menu that's present on the router. 

6.  Look for the section that says upgrade update in it

7.  Click on the browse button and select the firmware where ever it may be stored at. 

8.  Then click on the update button below it. 

9.  Once finished you'll still be in your newly updated with the new firmware

10  next make a name for your router

11.  Then create a new username and password for your router

12.  Once you've done that you'll have a lot more to play with in the new operating system also known as firmware.  

Thank you for your time and feel free to contact me at anytime and I'll try to answer questions in a timely fashion.  Also if you found this blog post helpful please consider a small donation....

No comments:

Post a Comment